Friday, January 7, 2011

Feeling A Bit Puzzled

Well, here it is, 2011. I'm going to keep my resolution post simple.

I just want to pass the PE Exam. That's it. Sure it would be great to become more organized, lose some weight, yada yada yada... But as long as I pass the PE, I will consider 2011 to be a success.

I cracked open my massive review book for my first attempt at real studying this week. I'll admit that I felt a little lost. I've always been a good student, but this is a whole new challenge. Where the heck do you start when you need to brush up on 8 years worth of acquired knowledge in just 3 months??? My current strategy is to just start somewhere, anywhere. I picked a topic, and tried to work some problems. That's ok, but I really ought to have a more systematic approach. Perhaps I'll do some planning this weekend.

5 comments:

  1. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. That's how you'll get through this. Start with what seems familiar, then branch out. Or start at the beginning. Just start.

    In the end you'll say, "See? I knew I could do it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you've been thinking about and dreading the PE exam for some time. It's really not that bad. I'd like to encourage you. Basically, you start, make some decisions to skip certain subjects because they make you gag, and you study the rest.

    Plus, since I'm currently writing a new edition of the Civil Engineering Reference Manual (that will be out in mid-2011) that is bigger than the current edition, if you don't do it for the April exam, preparation will be ever harder in the future. So, hop, hop, hop!

    How else can I help you?

    I think your kitty is darling. I'm a cat person, too.

    Michael Lindeburg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement Amanda and Michael, I certainly wouldn't want to study from a manual that's even bigger than the 11th edition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope your plan of attack is ready! You will do great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the words of two individuals much wiser than me...

    - Why don't you start at the beginning?
    - Yes, and when you reach the end... stop.

    TeeHee! No, but seriously, you'll do great. :)

    ReplyDelete