Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Competition

Tonight is the Fabric and Threads exhibit preview at the Iowa State Fair. This means that I'll find out whether I received any awards on my entries. I'm excited to find out the results, but I'll admit this doesn't feel much like a typical competition to me.

I've always been a competitive person. Growing up I used to participate in tae kwon do tournaments. I placed pretty high expectations on myself at those tournaments, and typically did pretty well. Now I just have to figure out what I should do with those damned trophies.

My job is also extremely competitive. We constantly have to bid against other companies for contracts. We win some, we lose some, but the competition is constantly there.

The Iowa State Fair doesn't feel like that at all. I feel like Iowa's knitters are all cooperating to put on a show. I would certainly feel honored if I'm awarded anything, but I'm mostly interested in viewing the collected efforts of my community of artists. (And hoping that we put on a better show than the quilters!!!)

3 comments:

  1. ARRGGHH! I'm so jealous of all of you that got to go and see if you placed/won or even just see your stuff of display. I have to wait to see online if I got anything :( Marion seems so far away from the action right now! Congrats to you though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your stuff at the fair last night. You kicked butt! Great work. I'm entering stuff next year, as I think we need to have even more cool knitters enter stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did so great taking all those ribbons! I completely understand what you mean about entering the competition - it isn't about the competition but about making a strong showing with the rest of the knitters!

    ReplyDelete