Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Our State Fair

There are some Iowans who can instantly tell you how many days are left until the start of the state fair. They are the type of people who can already smell the corndogs as soon as the snow begins to melt. I am not one of those people.

Despite the fact that Iowa may have the greatest state fair in the world (just ask Rogers and Hammerstein) I think I've only been there once in my life. I have vague memories of it from my childhood. I don't remember the animals, the exhibits, the food, or the three-hour drive to Des Moines. All I can remember is sitting on a burlap sack and flying down a giant, brightly colored slide. That might have even been some other fair.

Anyhow, my husband and I have been proud residents of Des Moines for three and a half years now. Every summer we have said that we need to make a point to attend the fair, but every summer we've found some excuse not to go. You see, as much as I might enjoy the fair, I really hate mid-August heat and massive crowds. And every time I picture us going to the fair, I see nothing but mid-August heat and massive crowds. Yuck.

But this year I've decided to get past it. I want to go to the fair. I want to see why people make such a big deal about the corn dogs. I want to "people watch" on the Midway. I want to see if that giant burlap sack slide is still there (if it ever was). I want to see the knitted and crocheted items that Iowans put on display. And I want to enter some of my handcrafted items to be judged in the fair. (I'll let you know what I've decided to enter in a later post.)

I probaby won't ever love the fair as much as some people, and I may even hate it so much that I never want to go again, but I won't really know until I just go.

4 comments:

  1. You know, I have to say that I don't do the whole fair thing either. I've gone the last 2 years but only spent about 4 hours there and that really has been enough. I love to see the photography & knitting/sewing/quilting displays and eat a veggie corn dog...and then I'm ready to go! I'm excited to see what you decide to enter in the fair - I had a hard time picking what to enter and I hope I can finish that pair of socks by the 31st.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go out to the fair almost every year but it never changes either, so once should do ya for awhile. I don't plan on attending this year....but then again I always say that and end up going for at least a few hours. The nice thing is later in the evening it's half price to get in if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked a good year to go to the fair. This is the year that Vanilla Ice is having a free show. I can't wait to see him rock a mic like a vandal and light up the stage and make him jump like a candle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- that Sarah is To The Extreme. :P

    I'm with you on the whole Fair thing... hot + crowds + me NEVER mix. I went once and the experience confirmed the whole anti-hot/crowd thing. however, it was quite the phenomenon to behold. I've never seen people crowd a corndog stand on such a primal level. I do have to sing praises for the cheesecake on a stick though.

    Enjoy yourself! Take it all in, Take photos! That way you won't have to go back for a good long time. :)

    ReplyDelete