Monday, June 7, 2010

My Two Jobs

Ok, so I don't actually have two jobs. But it sure feels like it sometimes. Sometimes I go to work here. I spend time doing things like writing proposals and reports, calculating laboratory test results, making phone calls, etc. Yes, that is a cooler in front of my desk, and no, it's not full of cold beverages. A couple of times a month I have to pack water samples into a cooler and ship them off to a chemistry lab. It's much easier to just leave a cooler sitting in my office than to figure out where I should store it.



Other days, I work at places like this one. Another aspect of my job involves visiting construction sites to confirm that projects are being built the way they should be. I spend my time doing some field observations, performing tests, and getting into (fortunately rare) heated discussions with contractors.



It's fun to work in a variety of different environments, and I don't always know what I'll be doing on any given day. It's also gives me an opportunity to physically see a project take shape. I can take the information that we gather in the field, design a foundation, watch the foundation be built, then see the rest of the building stack up on top of it. It's pretty cool stuff.

5 comments:

  1. It is like you have two different jobs. I think I would be frustrated by getting to work and then finding out I had to head out to a project site.

    You have an actual office?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that bottom picture is why you can't have a nice phone :) I'm glad you have an office in the new building & I love that you have a cooler in front of your desk. It makes sense to keep it handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I just got my real office when we moved to a new space last November. It can be annoying to have a sudden change in my plans. I've found that the best way to be sent out to do field work is to assume I'll be in the office and dress up in my nice office clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee, it sure sounds nice to have an office instead of 1950's-vintage mix and match furniture set in rows without even a cubicle wall to divide them. But at least I never have to go to picture #2. And I love that your friends know that you can't have nice things! xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very rewarding job and nothing beats having a little variety in the day to day.

    ReplyDelete